Sun, Oct 29|
Hinman Island Park
2023 Underwater Pumpkin Carving Event
Join the River City Dive Club for a Fun Halloween Dive!
Time & Location
Oct 29, 2023, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Hinman Island Park , Hinman Island Dr, New Braunfels, TX 78130, USA
About the event
Divers, Non-divers, families and friends are welcome to join in the fun. Please RSVP so we can get an idea of how many to expect. There will be sweet treats for everyone.
UNDERWATER PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST
- Bring your own pumpkin and dive light to illuminate your pumpkin.
- Only one pumpkin used per judged entry.
- You must use a blunt tipped diving knife for carving. No specialty tools or pointed dive knives. Consider a lanyard on your knife so it does not become lost if dropped.
- No predrawn marking on the pumpkin, other than your name at the top of your pumpkin.
- Pumpkins are VERY buoyant. Please take that into consideration when planning your dive weights. Consider a bag with weight for your pumpkin.
- If you need to rent gear, stop by the dive shop on Saturday and we will take care of you.
ARTICLES NEEDED TO HOLD CONTEST:
1) Everyone's pumpkins in a pile (your name can be written on the top)
2) A diving buoy with the basket of ribbons tied to the anchor rop at the bottom of the Comal River
3) An official timekeeper to record divers estimates of how long they think it will take to complete contest from start to finish and to record the actual time for each diver.
1) Have divers record estimates for completion time.
2) Put pumpkins in 1 pile.
3) LeMans Start.
4) Divers will pick their pumpkin from the pile, remove the top and clean out the insides.
5) Put on their diving gear
6) Before entering the water, must get a buddy check from the official timekeeper/dive safety monitor.
7) DIVER and PUMPKIN MUST BE SUBMERGED DURING CARVING.
8) Diver and pumpkin must descend to the basket of ribbons, take a ribbon from the basket and tie it between the eyes of their pumpkin.
9) Return with the pumpkin, to the timekeeper, for recording of the completion time.
1) 1st to finish
2) Best looking pumpkin
3) Ugliest pumpkin
4) Most original pumpkin
5) Closest to estimated completion time.